Haloumi and Lime? Ok, I'll try it!

 photo C7009187-EBDC-4C75-8FDF-A9F4FE47EEEF_zpsvnk4mq7b.jpg

This is delicious. We all really liked it.  I'm making it again this week! I don't have to tell you that I found the recipe through Pinterest, my go to place for recipe searching! I did take a few shortcuts though ... like, I cooked the quinoa in my rice cooker and I used lentils out of a can.  And you may notice that the recipe calls for asparagus but there is none in my photo.  Would you believe that both stores I went to were SOLD OUT!?!  Ugh.  I substituted mushrooms and that was delicious but I can't wait to try it again this week with asparagus!  I doubled this recipe but you didn't really need to double everything (like the haloumi) so here is how I did it and the measurements I used.

1x400g can puy lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
200g cooked quinoa (I did mine in the rice cooker with a bit of chicken stock)
2 bunches of asparagus, chopped
a handful of mushrooms, sliced
180g piece haloumi, sliced 
2 to 4 limes 
500g cherry tomatoes, halved
6 spring onions, chopped
1 long green chilli, deseeded and finely diced
a handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped

Sautee the asparagus and mushrooms with a little bit of olive oil.  

In a big bowl, combine lentils, quinoa, asparagus and mushrooms.  Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, tomatoes, spring onions, chilli, mint and zest of 2 limes (add zest to taste).

Heat a fry pan (or chargrill pan if you have one) over medium heat.  Add haloumi,  drizzle with lime juice and cook on both sides til golden brown.  Cut into smaller pieces and add to salad.  Season entire salad with salt and pepper.

Garnish with extra limes if desired.

We served with chunks of toasted turkish bread, buttered, sprinkled will all-purpose seasoning and toasted in the sandwich press.

No comments: